By Daryn Mayer, you fortified™
Summer is a great time for parties and entertaining.
Whether it’s brunch, a barbecue, or a picnic at the beach, delicious desserts can be the perfect ending for the perfect meal.
We are what we eat. How can we indulge in decadent desserts, keep our waistlines slim, and still look radiant?
You don’t have to desert desserts, but you should choose desserts that have healthful ingredients such as fruits, coconuts, and almonds that can promote a healthy body and appease our taste buds when they’re consumed in moderation.
So if you are going to indulge yourself and enjoy desserts, why not make it both healthful and delicious?
You Fortified™ asked New York based, master dessert chef and Chairman of the Culinary Tech Center in New York, Chef Jorge Bruderer, to create exclusive Good For You Dessert Recipes for Fashion Manuscript readers.
These desserts are simple to prepare, easy to travel with, and best of all as delicious as they are healthy.
So as we enjoy the rest of summer, here are some sweet and savory deserts that when consumed judiciously, will have a myriad of health benefits.
BLACK PEPPERED CHERRIES AND COCONUT GRANITA
1 cup Cherries 1/4
1-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
1/2 Lemon juiced
1 teaspoon Stevia
2 cups Coconut Water
Add coconut water to a small metal bowl that will be able
to fit in your freezer. Mix the coconut water every 15
minutes till frozen and hold in freezer.
Mix cherries, black pepper, lemon juice, and stevia in a
Bowl and let it stand for 15 minutes stirring the mixture
a few times.
When you’re ready to assemble add the granita first, top
it off with the cherries, garnish with the lemon zest, and
- Cherries contain powerful antioxidants like anthocyanin and cyaniding which help to reduce inflammation and belly fat, lower the risk of colon cancer and stroke, and support healthy sleep.
- Black Pepper helps improve digestion, promotes intestinal health, and the outer layer of the peppercorn aids in the breakdown of fat cells.
- Lemon juice helps to improve the quality of your skin, supports weight loss, freshens breath, and aids in digestion.
- Stevia is a natural non-caloric sweetener that does not spike your blood sugar and has been proven to help lower blood pressure.
MACERATED CINNAMON BLUEBERRIES AND ALMOND GELÉE
1 cup Blueberries 1/2
1/2 Lime juiced
Pinch of salt
2 cups Almond milk
2 sheets of Gelatin or 1 Tablespoon Agar
Pinch of cinnamon powder
Zest of 1/2 lime
Submerge the gelatin in ice water till it blooms (becomes soft)
Add the almond milk and Stevia to a small saucepot, bring to
a boil. Once it has come to a boil remove from the stovetop
and allow the gelatin to melt into the milk. If you prefer to use
Agar Instead then add it to the mixture before it comes a boil.
Refrigerate till firm. For the blueberries, add the remaining
ingredients in a bowl and allow it sit for 20-30 minutes or until
The mixture has released enough natural juice. Next Cut the
gelée in squares or Diamond shapes. Place half the blueberry
mixture on a plate or wine glass, add the gelée next, top off
with the remaining blueberries, and garnish with a sprinkle of
Cinnamon powder and lime zest. Serve chilled.
- Blueberries contain fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and phytonutrients that support heart health, as well as help lower cholesterol.
- Cinnamon promotes heart and dental health and has been proven to help fight diabetes, infections, and viruses.
- Almond milk helps to promote weight loss, strengthens bone density, and maintain blood pressure It also helps the kidneys to function properly, which can help improve one’s internal and external well-being.
- Like mom always said, “eat your gelatin”. Gelatin has many healthful properties. It improves intestinal health and digestion, protects joints, improves skin health, lifts your mood, promotes a restful sleep, and helps maintain strong bones.
- Some of the health benefits of limes include weight loss, skin health and improved
So you can eat your way to a healthier you. Just remember to consume these delectable delights in moderation, and to include healthful ingredients that not only taste great but also help to fortify you, inside and out.